Sunday, July 7, 2013

Tokyo American Club

Thought I should write a post about the Tokyo American Club, or "TAC", since we have been spending so much of our time there.  

Tokyo American Club

The Tokyo American Club is less than a mile walk from our apartment and pretty close to the Tokyo Tower.  You can read a bit of background about the club here.  They just rebuilt the entire club a few years ago and the facilities are beautiful.  The company provides membership as one of the benefits, but we are of course responsible for our other expenses at the club.  And holy cow, can those expenses pile up! I know I am somewhat spoiled by the Burbank YMCA where we paid $48 dollars a month for me and the girls to use all the facilities, including some classes for the girls and free childcare.  Once I started working there our monthly expense was ZERO, so I guess it really is not a good comparison for a private club.

I think we have been to TAC almost everyday since getting our membership cards.  Usually I take the girls in the morning, drop them off at child care (cha ching), workout (taking a class? cha ching), pick them up so we can all go for a swim (free! hooray!) and then eat lunch (cha ching). There are a ton of recreational activities available, for an additional expense. Things like a ballet class for Annie are almost shockingly expensive, so we will have to pick and choose where we want to spend our money.  All that being said, so far we are loving the club, and to me, it's worth the cost. I think it will be a nice place to escape to during the hot summer when all the other expats fly home and we are all by our lonesome. Believe it or not, I have not met a single other wife so far who is staying in Tokyo for the summer.  Uh oh! With all of the time I've been spending here, it feels a bit like I'm "cheating" and living in my Western bubble, but right now I think it's important to do what makes me happy/comfortable during this huge adjustment of living in a foreign country. I figure we still have plenty of time to really immerse ourselves in Japanese culture.

Besides the pool, fitness center and family friendly restaurant we've been frequenting, there are too many other offerings to list: a children's water play area, full service spa, beauty salon, basketball court, bowling alley, library, movie rental shop, and at least five other restaurants ranging from the casual poolside cafe to a fancy steakhouse.  The restaurant I've been taking the girls to is called Rainbow Cafe, and it's one of three kid friendly restaurants at the club. They have a delicious salad bar and an extensive menu with all kinds of American classics like salads, sandwiches, wraps, pizzas and pastas as well as some ethnic dishes. There is also a solid kids menu and prices are reasonable. In the middle of the restaurant there is even a children's play area for the little ones to burn off some energy if they can't sit still for an entire meal.

Before we became members we had to attend a two hour new member interview session. There were about 30 other perspective members there, and only one other couple. Everyone else left their spouse at home, but I was excited at the excuse to get out of the house without the kids! They served drinks and some delicious food and we chatted with some board members who basically asked us why we were interested in joining TAC.  In addition to the interview night, I also had to attend a two hour orientation session to learn about all the offerings of the club and rules and regulations. Dress code, parking, guest fees, billing etc.

Here are some pictures of me and the girls enjoying ourselves at the club!

Lizzy working on some skillz in the gymnasium

Enjoying a swim at the sky pool, which has a great view of Tokyo Tower

Rooftop kids pool

Just lunching
Rough life, eh?

This weekend TAC had a few activities planned to celebrate Independence Day since the 4th fell on a Thursday.  I took Annie to a children's event with face painting, balloon animals, games and crafts. It was fun, but not the same as being home for the 4th of July! Joe was travelling on the actual holiday so it was just another day here for us. First time I have been a little homesick.
Annie in her Statue of Liberty crown. Apparently it gives her crazy eyes




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wanna move there just for TAC!