Sunday, July 28, 2013

Breakfast in Bali

Breakfast is included with all rooms at the St. Regis Bali, and it did not disappoint.  While maybe not quite as amazing as the W in Singapore, in addition to the buffet, it also had an extensive menu from which you could order.  I think Joe had the steak and eggs every morning.  They also had really good smoothies in many different flavors.







Fresh squeezed orange juice and a Virgin Mary, a hotel specialty.


Kid approved!

We typically loaded up during breakfast, then had lunch and dinner either from room service or a casual cafe at the resort.

We had a few communication issues with the staff who spoke English but were sometimes hard to understand. Two of the funnier ones had to do with ordering room service. When we checked in the staff informed us that a special "family treat" was included in our stay. Both Joe and I thought they said it would be a free "hot meal" and cookies for the girls. OK! They said to just call and let them know when we would like it.  When I called to order it a few days later, the man over the phone asked me if I would like hot meal or cold meal. I asked what was in the meals, and he said, "Just meal." I was so confused. When cookies and milk were delivered to the room a few minutes later we finally realized that they had been saying "HOT MILK" the entire time.

Another night when placing a dinner order over the phone I asked if the kitchen could prepare a bowl of plain peas for the girls to eat, since their vegetable intake on the trip was less than stellar. The man taking my order asked me a few funny questions about how I would the peas, and we finally agreed (I thought) that I just wanted some plain, steamed peas. When the order arrived the server proudly pulled the cover off a dish contained a plain piece of steamed fish. We went back and forth for a bit with me saying "Peas??" and him nodding and smiling saying "Yes, peas!" Well, turns out Indonesians say the word "fish" exactly like "peas." We finally sorted it out when I found a piece of paper and wrote out the word "peas." He was unnecessarily apologetic, we had a good laugh and he took back the fish and brought some peas.

No comments: